Thursday, May 16, 2013

Men's T-Shirts Refashioned into a Bolero

Lately I have been into refashioning men's thrifted t-shirts. I got started though the book Alabama Studio Sewing and Design from Alabama Chanin, a small clothing company that hand-sews all its clothing. I love hand-stitching.

Below is the before shot of the t-shirts, one with a compass rose image on the front, the other a promo T for Sinead O'Conner concerts. I was deciding between the blue or red.  I had already cut off the sleeves of the black t-shirt.

I decided on the blue t-shirt is for the second layer, as I wanted to make the bolero double layered. I had hoped to make it with long sleeves but I didn't have another black t-shirt that matched this one. This is a lovely blue-black while all the other t-shirts I could find were a brown-black.


Above it is almost finished, with just the rest of the stitching around the edging to do. The blue star is done with reverse appliqué, where you stitch it and then cut away the top layer. 


 Here it is finished. Everything, all the seams and top-stitching, is hand-stitched.


And the back with the compass rose. If you want to read more details of the construction go to my blog.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

This is really a good idea! Thanks so much for sharing the detail on the double layer concept.
Sandy in the UK

IWOM said...

Having made a double layer long sleeve fleece bolero earlier this year I was wondering how it might translate into a more summery version (especially since this is being written from Vegas today) -- now I know!

Nice work.

IWOM:EOD

Lovenicky said...

Such a great idea! I have this short sweater shirt that I didn't know what to do with. I may just try your idea with it. Thanks!

Eileen Cox said...

Came out really well - great craftsmanship! Love, love, LOVE that book and can't wait to start doing some of the same type of sewing - though I don't know if I'll be doing all of it by hand, LOL!

Zom said...

IWOM, I would love to see your double layer fleece version. Did it go longer down your back?
This was actually supposed to be a winter version, but without the long sleeves it probably isn't happening. Winter in Australia is pretty mild.

Cucicucicoo said...

That is gorgeous! I love all the contrast stitching and the reverse applique! :) lisa

IWOM said...

End of March, somewhere in my archives here on RFC if I recall, Zom.

Mine is quite short -- really just a pair of sleeves with a bit between to hold them together! I'm finding it not all that practical so it is already in my 'possibly refashion' pile.

:-)

IWOM