Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Skirt to Shirt: A Fairly Simple Refashion

After my last project, I was in the mood for something simpler. Enter the half-disassembled skirt I've been "working" on for the last several months. (Working - v. to start a project, set it aside, and forget about it for several months. Ex: "I'm currently working on five projects, so it only makes sense to start a sixth, right?")

It's a thing of beauty.

I had already removed the buttons to use on another project, and I'd detached the main "skirt" part of the skirt, so I had a large-ish rectangular piece of fabric to work with. I decided to try a skirt-to-shirt refashion like I'd seen on a couple of other blogs. (Here and here.)

After ironing out the funky pleat down the front of the skirt, I ripped out 10 inches of each side seam to create arm holes. (For some reason, skirts don't come with arm holes. Go figure.) Then, I finished the edges of the arms.

More ripping a stitching.

Since I couldn't completely iron out the funky pleat in front, and there was a small, but obvious stain on the back, I added a new pleat in the front to camouflage the old creases. Then, I finished off the raw edge at the top of the shirt. Finally, I hand stitched the front edge to the back edge in four places - two at my shoulders and two on the outer edges of the "sleeves" - to make the skirt a shirt.  

More pressing and stitching.

I paired my new top with some white jeans I'd refashioned the day before. (They're actually capris on an average-sized woman, but they hit me right at the ankle. Sometimes being short has it's perks. Just not when grocery shopping...)

Finished products!

The weather is finally warming up where I live, and I can't wait to wear this top when I'm out and about. I hope you're all enjoying spring (northern hemisphere) and fall (southern hemisphere) where you live!


 - Elizabeth
   aka The Hungry Octopus



8 comments:

Sandy said...

this is good! the colour really suits you.
Sandy in the UK

Adele said...

That is amazing!

Adele - Editor on Duty

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Amazing transformation....what a beautiful, feminine top. Just lovely.

Liochka said...

great ! I like it.

Unknown said...

Wow this is so pretty. Love the colour and the pattern and you have done a great job on the refashion.

Eddie

Eddie's Room on Facebook come over for some crafty ideas and conversation. :-)

Huli said...

awesome top! nice job x

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

What a comfy top! Adorable results. You look quite lovely in that shade, m' dear.

Kelley~

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone!

- Elizabeth
aka TheHungryOctopus