Saturday, June 22, 2013

No Doubt About It – Gwen Stefani Copycat

I can't believe I made it to week three of Refashion Runway! How exciting is that? (Pretty exciting, I think.) If you haven’t been following the competition, you should definitely check it out and vote for your favorite. Each week participants are challenged to refashion an item of clothing to fit a theme. Weeks one and two were stripes and denim, and this week we recreated a look seen in a catalog or on a celebrity.


I decided I needed to break out of my “refashion a dress” rut. It was time for something different. Something outside my comfort zone. Something Gwen Stefani. I’ve secretly admired her sense of style for quite a while. She’s definitely more daring than I am when it comes to clothing, and copying one of her looks gave me an opportunity to break out of my refashioning rut. I started with a pair of black slacks that were too long and too loose for my short self, and a black satiny blouse that didn’t quite fit. (Gwen’s original top was leather, but the satiny fabric was a more sensible and versatile choice.)

Where do I begin...

Taking in the pants was pretty easy. Basically, I put them on inside out, pinned them to fit my legs, and then sewed along the pins. The shirt was far more challenging.


First, I removed the sleeves, collar, and ruffles, and undid the side seams. Then I removed the front darts and turned the shirt around so that the back was now the front. Next, I altered the neck and arms, chopped some of the length off the front, and added new darts and a side zipper.

Back to front. Front to back.

I drafted a pattern for the asymmetrical peplum using some old paper palettes (they’re like wax paper), tape, and some other tools of the trade.

Using my math and drafting skills.

I cut out the peplum using the sleeves of the shirt and some black cotton for the lining. Before sewing the satin and cotton pieces together, I pinned the cotton to the dress form to figure out where the pleats needed to be.

I'll figure this out if it's the last thing I do.

Since I had left the back (formerly the front) of the top as it was, I gathered several inches along the left side so that it would fit the asymmetrical peplum. Then I attached the peplum and finished closing the sides.

Once everything was put together I threw on my favorite heels and tried to strike a rocker pose. Try being the operative word…

Refashion Runway week three: copycat (Gwen Stefani)

Next week's challenge is to refashion a summer dress. Now's your chance! Won't you sew along?


 - Elizabeth


UPDATE!!

I've been asked to post more photos of the top so that everyone can better see how it was constructed, so here they are! 

Close up of the shorter side of the back of the top.
You can see where the fabric has been gathered to match the
length of the short end of the asymmetrical peplum.

Back view of the shirt.
I kept the buttons as they were in the original top, but I added
a zipper to the longer side of the refashioned top so that it
would be easier to put on and take off.

Front view of shirt.
From this point of view you can see the three pleats on the long side
of the peplum, and the two pleats on the shorter side of the peplum.
The pleats wouldn't be necessary for a regular top, but I was trying to
copy how the layered look of the leather from the Gwen Stefani top.

Front/side view of top.
You can better see the pleats and zipper from this angle.

I hope the update is helpful!

- Elizabeth






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful Elizabeth, looks great

Erica, Editor on Duty

cookiecrumbs said...

Very rock! Love it!

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

I just saw this on renegade seamstress and just love it! The asymetrical peplum is awesome! I'd love to see a better detail of the back bottom because I don't quite understand how the shorter peplum side is. By the way, I also love your Gwen hairdo! :) Lisa

Carissa said...

SO much better!

Anonymous said...

I'm completely in love with this, Elizabeth! You followed the challenge to a 'tee' and have really delivered results. I love that you drafted your own peplum! Your top looks so much like the inspiration picture, too! Keep up the good work!