Saturday, June 15, 2013

Turn Old Jeans into a Top!


2013-06-13 20.10.52
There are oh so many things you can do with denim, so I finally decided to make a top from all the leftovers I had!
My goal was to make something reversible, something that you could wear both ways, something without back, or front… I also knew that I definitely wanted to incorporate crochet into this refashion.
I used two different pairs of jeans, cut off the pant legs, traced one of the tops that I had to get the size right, and added the embellishments:
Before
The crochet piece is made of a really thick cotton hemp like yarn. I followed a simple pattern, used a 3.5 mm hook, and after a couple hours and a couple blisters, I think it adds to the piece and makes it very unique!
I sewed the two sides together, finished the edges off with some vintage bias tape (thank you freecycle) and was ready to go! You can notice that in the picture above the zipper is positioned differently that in the pictures below! That’s because I decided to flip it upside down for a better fit and a vest-like effect that can be achieved with this top!
After I finished the top, I went to the Sculpture Garden, one of my favorite spots in the whole world! Hence, perfect for this photo shoot! So with my Samsung Galaxy
 in hand, I mean in Sam’s hand – that’s what it looks like …
2013-06-13 19.59.55
Please visit me at http://beingzhenya.com for more refashions, thrifting and style tips!
Xo,
Z

9 comments:

Julia said...

I love the crochet! Where did you find the pattern?

Unknown said...

Excellent job! And for those not blessed with crochet skills, a piece of thrifted lace tablecloth or some such would also work.

Sucre said...

I really like this idea!

Chelle said...

Love love love it. and the crochet is cute..

Zhenya H said...

@Julia and Bobby, Thank you :) I found it online :) Just google crochet patterns!
@Frances Brough - yup :) you have the right idea!
@Sucre - thank you!
@Mischelle - thank you!

I really really appreciate all of your lovely comments! Don't forget to stop by my blog!
Xo,
Z

planettreasures said...

What a fabulous idea. the crochet really sets it off and it looks great

Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant, crochet with denim is such a great combination

Erica Editor on Duty

GJ said...

So very clever and looks so good.

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

I love this! I love the crochet and I love the zipper that goes from the bottom up! Gorgeous! :) Lisa