Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Skirt to summer top

I started this refashion before we went on holiday when it was lovely and hot. Now we are back, and it's freezing cold! But I finished it anyway, ready for next year.

I bought this skirt in a sale many years ago because I loved the colour, the linen mix fabric, and the patches of embroidery and sequins.
However, it is bias cut, an unflattering length, and never fitted very well, though I did wear it a bit.





Because of the bias cut, I was reluctant to start the project, however it was cut or sling!

Using a top of the type I wanted as a pattern, and retaining the skirt hem, I first marked how much below the waist to cut off, and stay stitched it round to stop the fabric falling out of shape. Then cut across the skirt above the stay stitching.
Cut off the elastic waistband and cut down the side seams to leave 2 equal size pieces.
One piece I folded in half and ironed in a length of vilene to stop the band stretching. Fitted it onto the front of the top as a yoke.
The back I hemmed to make a casing and inserted a length of elastic to take up some excess fabric.

The other offcut I cut in half lengthwise and made each piece into a shoulder strap. Tidied up the underarm section to fit.
I'm really pleased with this and hope to get a lot more wear out of it next summer.








Front and back. Please excuse the stripped wall, I should be finishing that instead of sewing!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

cute style of top! I love how flattering this shape is on me so I may have to attempt one myself :)

Adele said...

Very cute!

Adele - EOD