Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Small and Savvy

Hello Fellow Refashioners and Refashionistas!

For this post I made a small, but awesome change to a garment, yielding the finished piece much more useful in the end!

I started with this lovely, yellow, cotton sweater. It's lightweight, soft and fit, so it came home with me from the Salvation Army Thrift Store.
Sorry for the awkward pose, but as you can see, the sleeves leave much to be desired, and an exposed wrist!

I immediately knew how I would fix the problem. I was quite nervous when I started, though, as I've never done a sweater refashion. All those loops! I was afraid it would get away from me. 
Moving on:
First I carefully folded the thing in half so the sleeves matched. Then I cut them about half way up, saving the discarded bits. 
Then I cut the cuffs off, leaving a few centimeters that would make my next seam. I turned those right sides together, combined my seams, and pinned them in place, stretching the cuff to fit.
Then I noticed the tag still in the garment- it had to go!
Ah, much better- comfortable too...

Now I bravely manned my sewing machine and set it to zig zag. Being careful to stay close to the edge so it all would line up. 
Then I just stretched and sewed until it all lined up. Voila! 
With very little left over! 




5 comments:

Kazza said...

I love simple sweater and top refashions. I do them all the time with thrifted garments and those already in my wardrobe. I swap bands and cuffs from one to the other with different coloured options. Sometimes I use different type of textured knit on the one garment. It is such fun and very practical.

I love what you remade - it speaks to me +++ Thank you for sharing.

From Karen @ Facebook group Melton Bowerbirds

Unknown said...

Wow! So glad it spoke to you! Thanks for reading!

Unknown said...

Wow! You are so creative. I love what you made things usable in different ways. real estate in surrey bc

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Adele said...

I need to do this with a few of mine but I have not worked up the courage yet. Yours turned out very nicely.

Adele - EOD