Monday, November 11, 2013

Black & White, Part I

I've decided to tackle a sewing series centered around a color combo I've seen on the runways a lot recently, though I think it's a classic that never goes out of style - black and white! Black and white patterned fabrics are easy to find at thrift shops everywhere. And if you're feeling a little too plain, you can snazz it up with a brightly-colored cardigan, hot heels, or a cute clutch!

I began the first installment in my series with this lovely polyester church-lady number in a black and white floral print on a houndstooth background. The pleated skirt was what drew my attention initially, looking past the drop waist and shoulder pads that don't quit.

Pleated Babydoll Dress Refashion - BeforePleated Babydoll Dress Refashion - Before

I chopped off the top, pulling the drop waist up to an empire waist. I used the original flappy waistband thingy to create a pocket for a strip of elastic. The old sleeves became the new front panels. And behold! Church lady no more!

Pleated Babydoll Dress Refashion - AfterPleated Babydoll Dress Refashion - AfterPleated Babydoll Dress Refashion - After

More details and step-by-step pics can be found at CarissaKnits!

7 comments:

Refashion said...

The dress looks lovely on you...so cute :)

Debbie EOD

Unknown said...

Love the cut you created!!

Sandy said...

Love the new neckline!
Sandy in the UK

golden star said...

LOVE!

Andrea said...

Love this...so cute and I love how you've styled it! High bun, especially :) Great transformation!!!

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Always love refashions that turn something frumpy into fabulous.

Saga said...

Beautiful! (and sexy)