Tuesday, November 05, 2013

"Letter to Patricia" Pendant

Dear Patricia,
Apologies as this is my second project today for Refashion Co-Op but I felt compelled to write to you. I found your whizz bang pendant kit at the thrift store quite sometime ago and I only paid 99 cents for it. Not many people get a cross stitch pendant kit named after them, but I am guessing that you are pretty special. Therefore it is with a heavy heart that I need to let you know that you are kind of daggy Patricia. Now all the Australians that follow this blog will know what daggy means, but for everyone else......daggy means "not stylish,out of fashion, not trendy and finally not cool". Sorry Patricia, but you really are stuck in a 1970's time warp. Fashion has changed and you need to get with the times.Mustard shifts with gigantic lapels and over plucked eyebrows are out. Hmmm, you have probably guessed that I am not going to do your cross stitch. Instead I am going to create a pendant that is contemporary and fun.
Hello Patricia. 

This looks fun. 

I am going to make my own tassels using a piece of cardboard that I cut from the kit packaging and some gold cotton thread.

I love a vintage tie that keeps on giving. This silk tie has been used for multiple projects and earlier today I posted a hair slide refashion using the same fabric. At this point I use my jeweller's pliers to add the handmade tassels and some bits and bobs from my jewellery collection. Some are vintage and some are not.

The chain is long so this is how the necklace actually sits when it is worn.

Adding the additional elements makes it fun and contemporary. For more cool projects and ideas come and visit me at Penelope Hanger Refashions

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Love the story!
Good idea for using the kit and showcasing the tie.
Sandy in the UK

Carissa said...

Very pretty necklace! And an amusing story too!

Adele said...

What a cute necklace.

Adele - EOD