Tuesday, November 05, 2013

MFAM Week 7: Out of Africa

MFAM header copy

Well I'm late. Again. Four out of seven weeks have been on time, so that's not too bad, right? (Wrong.)

Anyway, this week's project was inspired by a variety of pieces from the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art's collection of African art. This collection presented a unique challenge. Unlike previous week's that focused on a particular country, empire, or art movement, this week we're working with the art belonging to an entire continent, and very large continent at that. Because of this, I decided to focus on pattern, as you can see in the photos of the Kuba peoples' textile panels below.

IMG_0788b

I was lucky enough to have scored two skirts with great patterns for $1 each a while back, so I pulled them out of my stash and got to work. The colorful skirt is a very soft rayon blend and the brown and black skirt feels like linen, but didn't have a tag.

before copyLarge skirt + small skirt = ???

The brown and black skirt was way too tiny (If you can't tell by the photo, it has a waist of about 23-24 inches. Yeah... Not happening.) so I decided to replace the original waistband with 3 inch wide elastic. To do this, I followed this tutorial.

skirtPoofy pocket on the far right.

Since the weather's been getting chillier lately, I decided to turn the more vibrant skirt into another infinity scarf. (Because why not?) To do that I cut off the elastic waistband and followed the same steps I used of the Egyptian scarf.

scarfThe cat was as helpful as ever.

Once the two skirts had been refashioned I paired them with a trusty black t-shirt, black shoes, and a black belt. (What can't that color tie together?)

after 2 copy
MFAM Week 7: African Art

Don’t forget to tune in next week for the next MFAM installment - which may or may not be posted on time - and remember, please don’t touch the art.

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging at www.TheHungryOctopus.com!

6 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

Do you know you're amazing? I love the refashion! I love the new skirt and scarf. Good job!

Carissa said...

And this is why I should try mixing pattern more often! Great ensemble!

Nout said...

I love how these turned out! My mom is in Rwanda right now and will be bringing back some fabric, which is very exciting because I love how colorful it. Great job! xo

InfoMissionary said...

I am just so obsessed with this series. Bravo dear, this one is the best so far! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you! Thank you! I'm glad that everyone's enjoyed the series so far. Now I just have to decide what to do when it's over... Thoughts? Ideas?

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

Adele said...

Lovely skirt and scarf. I love the fabric.

Adele - EOD