Monday, November 11, 2013

Short Dress to Peplum Top

I got this dress over a year ago at a JCPenney outlet store for $1.99.  As you can see, it's a little short for work. I comtemplated adding something to the bottom, which is what I usually do, but in the end decided a peplum would be better.

I didn't just cut it off though.  I cut two triangle shaped pieces and inserted them in the sides to make it wider around the bottom. (I didn't want to try to make a long, gathered piece and attach it because there were little pintuck below the beltloops that would've gotten messed up.

You can see the triangles here.  Very simple, but now it's wearable!

9 comments:

Sandy said...

This is a great change! The triangles really give it the peplum shaping. Good idea.
Sandy in the UK

Jean said...

Clever girl! Well done! I think that we have all learned a great lesson today. Thank you for sharing.

Carissa said...

Very cute and oh so trendy!

Andrea said...

I agree, I've learned a very good lesson from this! That simple addition gives it just the right shape...love how this came out! Well done :)

April Rogers-Krick said...

I too learned something. What a great fix to create the peplum. It is so cute. Thank you for sharing. I will be using this technique very soon.
Craftymomma

luv2sew said...

So clever and so much less work than the usual method!

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Very smart and it looks very professional.

Clare said...

Love it!

concretenprimroses said...

This is great! Thank you for the triangle idea.
Kathy