Thursday, December 05, 2013

SCARF REFASHION: To infinity and beyond!

I have an obsession with infinity scarves. At first, I had an obsession with just scarves in general – crocheted scarves, light spring-summer scarves, warm fall-winter scarves. But then I discovered the magical power of the infinity scarf – simply loop the scarf around the neck twice and I’m ready to go. No knots to fiddle with. Just loop and go. And I still look somewhat fashionable.

JUST A FEW OF MY SCARVES ...
IN THIS POST, I'M WORKING WITH THE TWO SCARVES IN THE MIDDLE

For some reason, I don’t like the single loop look on me. Some people can pull off the look, but I’m not one of those people. :) I look fashionable and I feel more confident with two loops. The two scarves I wanted to turn into infinity scarves weren’t long enough for two loops. So, I bought a quarter of dark grey fleece that matched both “feels like cashmere” scarves.

SNIP SNIP SNIP ... OFF COME THE FRINGES
SEWED STRAIGHT STITCH, CONNECTING THE GREY FLEECE AND THE SCARF EDGE

I had the intention of buying similar “feels like cashmere” fabric, but I couldn’t locate that anywhere in the fabric store and I didn’t know the technical term for the material. Luckily, the store held a fabulous fleece sale and I spotted the dark grey fleece.

SDFLKJSDF
SNIP SNIP SNIP -- OFF COME THE FRINGES

My original plan of finding similar “feels like cashmere” fabric was tossed out the window when I realized I would pay less than $1 for grey fleece to refashion two scarves into infinity scarves. At this point, I really didn’t care about having two different types of fabric. I spent 41 cents for a minor fix — I’m a happy girl.

THE CONNECTED SEAM WITHOUT THE FRINGES
THE NEW SEAM WITHOUT THE FRINGES!

With the grey fleece, I cut a square to match the width of the scarf. Fleece doesn’t fray or unravel, right? I’m thinking no since I have a billion fleece tie-blankets and none of them have frayed or unraveled. So, I decided to skip hemming the fleece sides and and simply sewed the scarf ends to the fleece (obviously cutting off the fringes). And presto!

SO PRETTY! I LOVE IT!
SO PRETTY! I LOVE IT!

I have two new infinity scarves for the winter. I really like the small grey block breaking up the original pattern a bit. I really don’t want to learn 52 ways to knot a scarf – I just want a scarf to make me look fabulous.

For more details about me, my blog, and this post, click here.

Jennifer Elliott

1 comment:

IWOM said...

(Great: another movie buff!).

I would agree: the world is divided into two sorts -- single loop and double loop!

IWOM: EOD