Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Ugly 80's Dress to Cute Wrap Dress

I found this monstrosity of an 80's dress at the thrift store for $1.50. I'm not really sure why I snagged it, as it is pretty atrocious and it took me a while to figure out how to refashion it. 

So I started by removing the sleeves and the huge collar. 

Then I cinched in the sides and hacked off some length from the skirt.  With some of the extra fabric I made two 1.5'' skinny tubes. Then I seam ripped the shoulder seams apart and slid the one tube down each side of the bodice. Then I reattached and tightened the shoulder seams. Then I slid the tube over the shoulder seam to create the strappy gathered look. Voila! New wrap dress! I know it's a sundress in December but hey the temps over here in California are in the high sixties. 

I've been gone for a bit but glad to be back and refashioning!


jennifer elliott said...

Holy cow! Amazing refashion! I love it! Great job.

Dk's Wife said...

Yes, what an amazing refashion. Who would have thought? :)

Elizabeth Hill said...

Horrid 80s dresses make the best refashions! Great job!

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus