Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

When your top half and your bottom half aren't the same size

This summer, I found this denim dress for $1 at a charity shop. It was a size 4, so it fit my shoulders and chest, but not so much around my hips. That's the trouble with being "pear-shaped," I guess. Still, at only a buck, I figured I could do something with it.

I thought about trying to keep it as a dress, but I got a bit overwhelmed with the tailoring that would be involved, especially given the decorative top-stitching that the piece already had. I decided to go the simple route and chop it down into a shirt. I used a favorite button-down as a guide and cut off the excess, much as I did here. I folded over a narrow hem and stitched it down, with the exception of the facing where the buttonholes were. This part was already too thick to fold over twice and stitch down. I just folded that part over once and used some Fray Check on the raw edge to keep it under control.

Here's how it turned out. 

Again, it was a pretty simple, quick transformation, but it made this piece wearable. And if you like my bowtie necklace, that was another refashion. You can find the instructions here at Plan B with Anna Evers. Her posts are originally written in Spanish, and the translations can be rough, but Anna has some great refashion ideas. Check her out.

It's been a while since I did a major garment reconstruction, but I am working on one now. Look for it next week!



Marie Cheek said...

Great job! You can always use a denim shirt!

Jennifer Elliott said...

I love it! Nicely done. I love curved hems.

cfortin said...

Your project turned out great.

Cindy - EOD