Thursday, April 24, 2014

SHIRT REFASHION: My very first

I think. I think this is my first shirt refashion. I love love love this cute brown wrap-like shirt, but it’s a teeny bit small. Upon closer inspection, I think I knew how to alter it. Because the shirt was kind of a wrap, the front had two layers of fabric to create the V neck. I inspected the side seams and the two layers of fabric.

A LITTLE TOO SNUG SHIRT

Could I possibly make the shirt roomier by adding a little bit of fabric to each layer and sewing the added fabric back to the side seam? Hmmmmm. Only one way to find out. I found a dark brown shirt in my refashion stash that best matched the shirt and measured a portion of the panel connected to the side seam.

I'M NOT CRAZY ABOUT THE DIFFERENT SHADES OF BROWN AND THE CURLED TOP, BUT THE FIX WORKS FOR NOW.

On the second brown shirt, I marked the same measurement from the bottom of the hem and cut out a small rectangular piece from the front of the shirt. Even though hemline stitches didn’t match exactly, I didn’t want to haggle hemming the new fabric. My plan: simply add extra fabric to the two front panels and resew the side seams.


Other than the one unfinished top edge, I am in love with my shirt again and can’t wait to add it to my closet! Well, I’m not crazy about the outside panel not matching exactly, but its placement will placate me for awhile. Now, I look forward to refashioning other shirts in my stash. Yay!

For more information about me, my blog, and this post, click here.

Jennifer Elliott

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Way to bring back a favorite! I'm wondering if you would do some decorative stitching on that portion to personalize it a bit more. That way the almost matching brown won't really be an issue but a feature and a personal stamp to make this top unique. (Could be hand stitching in a criss-cross pattern with embroidery floss or something else really simple...) I love when old favorites find new life :)

Andrea EOD