Thursday, April 03, 2014

TEE EXPERIMENT: vintage softness

I have three favorite T-shirts that I love to wear any day of the week. All three are form fitting and incredibly soft. With some time on my hands, I want to replicate my favorite tees with existing tees from my closet.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE T-SHIRTS
ONE OF MY FAVORITE TEES
Before deconstructing a normal T-shirt into a more form fitting tee, I needed to soften the normal T-shirt. A five-minute scan of the web led me to submerge my Angry Birds tee in a bowl of salt water for three days.

MY ANGRY BIRD T-SHIRT
MY ANGRY BIRD T-SHIRT

On the fourth day, I tossed the shirt into the washer and ran it through as normal. After throwing it in the dryer, I didn’t notice a huge difference in softness. So, I returned to the web to research more methods on how to soften a T-shirt.

THE T-SHIRT IN SALT WATER
MY T-SHIRT SOAKING IN WATER

The second experiment I tried involved simmering my T-shirt in a pot of hot water on the stovetop for an hour. I liked this method because I didn’t have to wait three days to check out the results. My wait lasted about two to three hours.

T-SHIRT AFTER BOIL
MY T-SHIRT SIMMERING

After watching an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent (the bad guys were caught, by the way), I pulled the tee from the pot and quickly rinsed it before throwing it in the washer and running it through as normal. I think the tee feels a little softer.

NOT 100% SURE IF THE TEE IS SOFTER
DOES THE SHIRT LOOK SOFTER?

I’m not 100% sure the T-shirt feels vintage soft, but at this point, I’ll experiment for vintage softness on another shirt. Not sure how much more salt and hot water my Angry Bird tee can handle. Before my third and final experiment, I need to buy more salt.

For more information about me, my blog, and my post, click here.

Jennifer Elliott

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Very interesting! Thanks for going through these methods and sharing the results.
I wonder if soaking in fabric softener would make a difference?

I would also be concerned about the transfer part of the t-shirt. Or is it screen printed, too? (the bird)
Sandy in the UK

IWOM said...

Not so much a refashion post as a chemistry post!

I've used tea for dying before, but never thought to use it to soften. Was it any particular kind of tea?

IWOM: EOD