Friday, July 25, 2014

DIY SCARVES: Better and beautiful

So, I've had these simple scarves that I had crocheted a few years ago during my big crochet kick. I'm not sure why I don't wear them more often because they are nice, comfy, and warm. But the bigger question is: Should turn these crocheted scarves into infinity scarves? I'll answer that question with a question: Why not? Maybe I would wear the scarves more often if they were simple infinity scarves.


RILEY CLOSELY INSPECTS MY WORK


So, I took my two favorite crocheted scarves: a lovely dark brown with colorful specks and a black-white-green striped one. The obvious fix was simply sewing or crocheting the open ends together. I'm sure I could've figured out a way to crochet the ends together, but I didn't want to take the time to do that. I opted for the easier and faster method -- a straight stitch with my handy dandy sewing machine (completed before sewing machine kicked it).


THE SPECKLED BROWN CROCHETED SCARF SEW TOGETHER.


At this point, I could be done with the project, cleaning up the new seam and making sure the stitches won't fall out. But I had a brilliant and beautiful plan. I took a few inches of the section containing the new seam and carefully wrapped matching brown yarn around the designated area. I briefly thought about crocheting a simple two or three line strip to wrap around the scarf, but I decided against it. 


SCARF11B


I wanted a different textured or pattern look to make this small section stand out a bit. So, I tightly wrapped matching yarn around the designated section, simply tying end pieces. Once I find or make the right accessories, I'll probably add them to the scarves, but for now, I'm pretty happy with the minor fixes.


A BIGGER



To read more about the process, click here and take time to check out my blog -- jenniferelliott14.com.

Jennifer Elliott

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your scarves look great! I recently purged a lot of scarves from when I went a little crochet/knit crazy. Now I kind of wish I had kept some.

Also, my condolences on the death of your sewing machine.

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus