Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Easy Oil Stain Fix - Upcycled Shorts

Hi all,

There is not much to this project but I was really happy to save my shorts.   I splattered them with oil  From past experience I have not been very successful in removing oil stains.  So my fix.  Add more oil.  :-)
Lots of it actually.  I just painted it on with an paint brush and then washed it back out.  The shorts are a little darker now which I actually like better.

Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab


jennifer elliott said...

If you can't beat them, then join them? Nice solution and save.

IWOM said...

I was going to say if it is worth doing it is worth over-doing, but we don't want this to turn into a cliche fest....


Andrea said...

Good save...have you ever tried renewing the oil stain with WD-40, then sprinkling with baking soda, which you allow to soak it up and then brush away with a toothbrush. You do this 2-3 times until it stops clumping up (absorbing the oil), shake it off, then apply dish soap and scrub the spot with a toothbrush then rinse and wash as normal. It's worked for me so far and I've saved a couple of tops this way!

Erinn Merlo-Jackson said...

Great ideas ladies!!!
I like the jeans and I'm taking note of Andrea's idea. I had heard dawn dish soap alone works, but have never tried it.

Sandy said...

The idea of using the oil is absolutely genius! I must remember that one.
Sandy in the UK