Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Friday, September 05, 2014

T-Shirt to Tank Top Refashion

 Summer is over and school is back in.  Somehow we survived it all.  Now it's time to get back to work!

    I did a quick t-shirt refashion, so I can stay a part of this wonderful group.  Between vacation and back to school, I really haven't had much time for refashioning.

  I picked this slightly too big and stained t-shirt to work with.  I didn't get a before pic of it on, but it is just your regular shirt that was headed for the PJ drawer because of the size and stain.  It is just a little too cute for that, though, so refashion to the rescue!

You can see the stains on the arms of the t-shirt.  It was on the back of both sleeves and some of the side of the shirt, so those pieces had to go.

I took an another tank top (This was a refashion, also.  It used to be a mens t-shirt) and used it to draw my pattern, leaving some allowance for the seam.

Easy enough.  
Now I have my tank top shape.  
I serged the side seams together first and tried it on for fit.

I took the scraps from the sides of the shirt and used them to finish the armholes and neckline.  I also saved the finished hem from the bottom of the shirt to add on at the end.

Here is a look at the finished arm holes, neckline and hem.

And here is the finished tank top!

Way more fitted, flattering, wearable, and cute!
Another t-shrit was saved from the dreaded PJ drawer.  
(There's no room in there anyway!!)
This was a very successful refashion rescue mission, I believe.
I have more details and pics on how I did the armholes, neckline, and hem on my blog:
Thanks :)


Andrea said...

Major save and definitely worthy of more than the pj drawer ;) Love it!
Andrea EOD

cfortin said...

That turned out great.

Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab