Sunday, December 07, 2014

Union Jack sweatshirt

Hi everyone! I am super excited about this sweatshirt. It started off as a men's small but it was too big and bulky for me. I pulled off the arm and waistbands and took in the sides. I then hemmed everything with a twin needle which BTW if you have never tried a twin needle it is truly not that intimidating and the end results are wonderful.


I next wanted to turn this blah and boring sweatshirt into something with a wee bit more personality. I have been seeing a lot of Union Jack flags and thought I could add that to my shirt. Since the background was blue, I just needed to add blue and red. I used scraps from another sweatshirt that was red and a white t-shirt for the white. To be as accurate as I could possibly be- I downloaded and printed a flag and traced it with paper- one for the white portion and one for the red. I simply hand sewed on the fabric with some embroidery floss and I was done.

And the end result is something I just adore and has already scored a bunch of compliments when I wore it out. For more information and more photos check out my blog here.

And if you have been following me, you know that this year I have set out to refashion 99 items, and I am almost at my goal!!! This particular refashion is #91. Crazy huh?

Cheers,
Lauren

2 comments:

Carissa said...

Super cute! I totally need to try out the twin needle. And I love the Union Jack design!

-Carissa
EOD

Sandy said...

oh well done on your goal! I wondered how you were doing.

The union jack is great, too, I like the idea of using scraps directly onto the shirt.
Sandy in the UK