Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, December 07, 2014

Union Jack sweatshirt

Hi everyone! I am super excited about this sweatshirt. It started off as a men's small but it was too big and bulky for me. I pulled off the arm and waistbands and took in the sides. I then hemmed everything with a twin needle which BTW if you have never tried a twin needle it is truly not that intimidating and the end results are wonderful.

I next wanted to turn this blah and boring sweatshirt into something with a wee bit more personality. I have been seeing a lot of Union Jack flags and thought I could add that to my shirt. Since the background was blue, I just needed to add blue and red. I used scraps from another sweatshirt that was red and a white t-shirt for the white. To be as accurate as I could possibly be- I downloaded and printed a flag and traced it with paper- one for the white portion and one for the red. I simply hand sewed on the fabric with some embroidery floss and I was done.

And the end result is something I just adore and has already scored a bunch of compliments when I wore it out. For more information and more photos check out my blog here.

And if you have been following me, you know that this year I have set out to refashion 99 items, and I am almost at my goal!!! This particular refashion is #91. Crazy huh?



Carissa said...

Super cute! I totally need to try out the twin needle. And I love the Union Jack design!


Sandy said...

oh well done on your goal! I wondered how you were doing.

The union jack is great, too, I like the idea of using scraps directly onto the shirt.
Sandy in the UK