Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Kimono Jacket

This dated (and super wrinkled) wrap skirt has been in my refash stash for a few months now; I got at a clothes swap last autumn. The carnation print will make a fantastic kimono-style jacket, don't you think?

Kimono Refashion - Before

Essentially, I unwrapped the wrap skirt, turned it upside-down, and sewed the bottom hems together to become my shoulder seams. I cut slits down the side for armholes and finished my raw edges. I thought I was finished, but when I tried it on, the way the skirt tapered to the waist made the bottom of the kimono hang funny. I also wasn't keen on the sleeve length (or lack thereof). So I chopped off the bottom 8 inches (formerly the top of the skirt) and created sleeves from it.

Thrift Style Thursday: Marsala + Kimono Refashion

For more details and photos of the whole process, visit me at CarissaKnits!

Kimono Jacket - Before & After


jennifer elliott said...

I love the print! Great refashion.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

cfortin said...

Great refashion Carissa

Cindy - Upcycled Design Lab