Thursday, April 16, 2015

Cover ugly logos with appliqué circles

Cover ugly logos with appliqué circles. Perfect applique on t-shirts with tear-away stabilizer. | Cucicucicoo for Refashion Co-op

I never say no to hand-me-down clothes for my kids, but sometimes they have some pretty ugly logos, stains or tears in them. But it's a shame to get rid of them because of a small detail, so I like to cover them up in some way or other.

Cover ugly logos with appliqué circles. Perfect applique on t-shirts with tear-away stabilizer. | Cucicucicoo for Refashion Co-op

For example, this shirt with a sparkly silver logo across the front. The fabric is a nice thick jersey, so I definitely wanted to keep it. So I dug into my jersey scraps and chose some different shades of blue. (I tend to have a lot of used blue t-shirts, so I often use an ombre effect, like I did with this other solution to cover logos or stains.)

Cover ugly logos with appliqué circles. Perfect applique on t-shirts with tear-away stabilizer. | Cucicucicoo for Refashion Co-op

And I whipped up some quick overlapping circles and sewed them on over the logo. The trick to sewing nice even appliqué stitches on jersey fabric is to use a tear-away stabilizer.

Cover ugly logos with appliqué circles. Perfect applique on t-shirts with tear-away stabilizer. | Cucicucicoo for Refashion Co-op


And now the shirt's better than it had ever been in the first place! For more information on this quick fix (and a tutorial on how to appliqué on knit fabric with tear-away stabilizer), visit my blog, Cucicucicoo!

4 comments:

TheRefashStash said...

Awesome idea! I don't know how many shirts I've passed up because of an ugly logo!

Unknown said...

Great idea!!!

Sofia, Salvage Stitchery

jennifer elliott said...

Have I mentioned how amazing you are? I love love the circles -- great job.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

Thank you, ladies! And yeah, Marisa, there are just so many great clothes out there with ugly logos or other graphics plastered over them, so I'm always looking for ways to salvage them without doing free advertising for companies!

Jennifer, that's so sweet of you to say! :) Lisa