Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Easy Update for a Sweater Dress

Sorry for missing last month. Way too many things going on in my world. All good but they just wore me out big time. I promise to do a better job.

While I don't look great in sweater dresses, I find them all the time at the thrift store and love to find ways to make them look fun again.
I have an Accucut craft die cutting machine. I use it all the time to update garments with fun shapes like flowers and birds. I also find a fun looking skirt or dress for the bottom.

So to make this easy, just cut off about 5 inches off the bottom of the sweater dress. Cut about 6" off the bottom of the skirt; One inch extra for tucking under the sweater bottom for a seam allowance.

Iron some wonder-under to some of the dress fabric and cut out a flower shape or anything that suits your fancy. Sew the skirt bottom to the bottom of the sweater dress with a zigzag or if your sewing machine has any; fun embroidery stitches.
As for the appliqued flowers, I drop the feed dogs, use my darning foot and messy free-form stitch them on.
 The dress above was a little narrow so I added inserts to the sides. Cut up the seam and insert fabric to widen it a bit. Then sew the bottom ruffle.

This one I just added a colorful belt along with the bottom ruffle.

Or you can just cut off the bottom of the sweater dress, cut off the bottom of the dress and sew those together. I cut off the bottom of the sweater dress and added it to the bottom of the dress hem.

You can always find me at


Carissa said...

All lovely! I really like the second one with the color ruffle and belt. Very cute!


Valerie said...

Neat ideas!