Saturday, July 18, 2015

Dress, and Wreath from Scraps

Here is an infinity dress I made years ago and only wore a couple times. (I got the idea to add a bodice from someone else.) The only problem with the dress was that the fabric I chose was 100% cotton interlock and was heavy, so that by the time I was done wrapping two pieces that were 6 feet or whatever long around myself, it felt hard to move around.  I couldn't wait to get it off.

 So I redid the top using a pattern.  I had to piece it together since those long strips weren't wide enough to make the new bodice pieces. I think it has a 40's look to it.
Then here is a project I've been planning on doing for two years now.  I cut down all my boxy oversized T-shirts and turned them into girl shirts, and just loved the colors of the scraps when they were all on the floor. 

So I cut them into more or less regular strips, ran a gathering thread down the center, and hot glued them to a wreath.  It was actually pretty time consuming, but I'm happy with the results.


Rennie said...

Gorgeous dress! much more wearable now!

Unknown said...

The dress is beautiful! Such a great change.

Good job on the wreath too. I made my first wreath last Christmas, and it was surprisingly time consuming. I think I'll stick to refashions. ;)

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Saga said...

I might need to do the same, I think, when looking at your pictures. I have an infinity dress that I really like, but never wear, since the traps always ends up buncing together. I can't believe I haven't thought to refashion it.
Thank you for the inspiration.