NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Friday, July 10, 2015

New Contributor Introduction & Polka Dot Dress

Hello!

My name is Heather Whatton and I am excited to be a new contributor and a part of this community! I started to remake dresses a few months ago and I have been loving it. One of the reasons I started to refashion clothing is because I have a petite frame and it is often difficult to find clothing that fits me properly. I had been wanting to learn to sew in general so I thought that working on thrifted clothing would be a good place to begin. Plus: rumaging through Goodwill/Antique stores is one of my favorite activities these days and I love to see an old dress be revived. It makes me happy to find a community that shares the same interests and I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

Blog: www.forestdesignhouse.com (click on the TEXTILE tab for refashions)
Facebook: Forest Design House (I also post a lot of floral pictures so I hope you like flowers)

This was my first refashion!

BEFORE:






AFTER:



Steps:
1. I removed the shoulder pads, sleeves and the collar with a seam ripper.
2. The waist line was too low on me so I took 2 inches off the top of the dress to raise the bust line and waist line.
3. Made a deeper v-neck in front and neckline around the back to compensate for step 2 (by cutting two inches off the top - it raised the whole dress and the neck line so that my neck was needing a little more breathing room)
4. Brought in the sides around the torso for a slimmer fit
5. Hemmed the dress to just above the knee 
6. Cleaned up the seams along the way


Waist Selfie:

Have a beautiful weekend!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Hi Heather! Love the more modern look of your first refashion!

Heather Whatton said...

Hello Valerie! Thank you!

jennifer elliott said...

Welcome! I'm a sucker for anything with dots. Great pick and great refashion!

Andrea said...

Welcome! Great first refashion! I love the polka dots and the classic black and white, plus the after is now sweet and modern :) Thanks for joining us!

Andrea EOD

jenny_o said...

Great changes and good, clear instructions - thank you!

Heather Whatton said...

Thank you all!