Sunday, August 30, 2015

#1 Boxers or Sleep Shorts from Jacket

RanchHouse September Sewing Goal:
  • Mend, alter, refashion 10 Boxers or Sleep Shorts. This is #1.
 Boxers or Sleep Shorts:
  • Made from Pre-retirement stash that does not fit the Retirement lifestyle.
  • Fit the need for more at-home lounge clothes.

Project Goal: Refashion well worn Pre-retirement jacket into Boxers. 
After: Back panel boxers.

Before:  I refashioned this jacket when my aunt handed it down to me. I then taught in it for at least 10 years.

After: Back panel boxers. This project reminds me of memories that go into quilting from family clothing. I like that I was able to use the jacket worn by both my aunt and by me.

Steps:
*Old Jacket: Piece and cut new boxers.
Add the red waistband cut from stash fabric.
*Back Panel Pattern: Pattern from men's boxers were traced onto white pillowcases. There aren't side seams, they can be added to piece fabrics.

What I Learned: This jacket yielded less fabric due to seams, darts, pockets. The back-panel boxer worked around limited fabric yield.
Before: Jacket with at least 20 years family history.

New Back Panel Pattern:
Traced from men's white cotton boxers.
 









Ideas for Boxers:



1 comment:

Carissa said...

Such practical refashions! And i just love the patriotic pair with smileys on the bum!

-Carissa
EOD