NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

A Very DIY Kids Pouch

So this isn't my best refashion but I really liked the idea. I think with some refining this could be an excellent use of old kids clothes. I had an old onsie and pant combo that I didn't want to give away because it was stained. I also didn't want to throw it out so I thought about what I could do with it. My three year old is really into purses right now so I decided I would turn the two things into a new purse (well actually its more of a pouch!)

I love the monkeys!

First I cut the legs off the pants.


Then I cut up one side of each pant leg.


Then I pinned the two pieces together on the bottom and both sides leaving the top open.


I sewed these sides together. Now its nearly a pouch!


NextI folded and pinned and then hemmed the top.

Next I cut the monkey out of the onsie to use as a patch on the side of the pouch without a monkey on it.

So cute!!!


I pinned the monkey on and then chose a stitch to sew it on with. I didn't want to use a straight stitch- I wanted something a little more fancy for the patch.

This will do!

Ok its not perfect.....
I had a little fold in the patch when I was done sewing as you can see above. Normally I would redo this but this is for my 3 year old and she won't mind!

Next I wanted a way to close the pouch so I cut the snaps off of the crotch of the onsie. I pinned them to the inside of the pouch and sewed it on.




And here is the finished product:

OOPS! Its sideways!
So Im not the best straight line sewer and certainly there is room for improvement but this is my first attempt. I thought about straps but found my kid liked it the way it was so I called this project done! Next time I will refine this process for better results!

3 comments:

g.satansbraten said...

Does my confession of being into sewing already a faiiiir length of my life help, that I fear hardly aaanything more than to sew a straight, visible line, longer than 10 - 30 cm?
At least a tiny winy bit?
Please check yourself for the following in your own case: Since I have a rather short foot (22 - 23 cm with 'cheating shoes') I'm moooore under control of the speed of the sewing-machine, when stepping/starting the foot-petal rather with my heel instead of my toes.
THIS provides me in turn with wayyy more time to concentrate on straightness and other things.

Off you go - to continue with projects the like and I deeply regret you're not taking adoptions of elderly childish women like me to get things like this as well.
Btw., stains =make them sort of feature: hire some of your 3 year olds 'painters', do additional blotches, wash them to mellow and/or 'widen' them, heat-set them in with an as hot as possible iron ...
... and declare them 'new fashion' ?

LG, Gerlinde

Lolo said...

Thanks those are great ideas!

jennifer elliott said...

I'm the same. I can't bear to throw old clothes out knowing I could use the fabric in some manner. Great job at turning it into a cute purse.

Jennifer, EOD