NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

An Easy T-Shirt Refashion!

I love a good t-shirt but I don't like the way the standard t fits. I want something a little more creative or stylish. I have these three band t-shirts I got at a concert and so far I have not worn them because of the straight boring fit. So today I decided to do something about that! It requires very little sewing and only a little cutting.

You need:
t-shirt
scissors
chalk or fabric pencil
sewing machine or needle and thread.

Here is the before of my shirt:


This refashion has to be quick because my toddler is into everything!

First I cut the neck line into a boat neck:


Then I cut the neck line trim from the excess shirt fabric after cutting it down each side. I have a plan for that left over neckline! This is where you need chalk or something washable to mark  on the t-shirt.

First halve them!

And now they are straps!


I wanted to cut a V down the center of the back. My plan is to use the neckline as straps in the back. Scroll down if you aren't sure what I mean. Here is an image where I have laid the neckline down to plan where the straps will go. I turned the shirt inside out BTW, because I want to sew them onto the inside. Once I have that figured out I drew a V down the center of the back of my t with pink chalk:


I cut the V out of the back:

Give me a V!

CHOP!

Now I pin the "straps" to the back of my t where I want them so I can sew them down:




I also cut off any excess strap after sewing them on.

Here is what it looked like when I was done sewing them down. My sew lines aren't that great but this is supposed to be a DIY look so thats ok!


Then I turned it right side out again. Here is the final version (I will need to use a dry sponge or wash the shirt to remove the pink chalk):

Yes Im wearing a pink bra and sweats- no time for big changes or any styling with a three year old hanging around!

The back.

This look may require a special bra or one that goes with the look!

Im pretty happy with the outcome. It has the perfect rock and roll, DIY, rough look I was going for!

To see another one of my t-shirt refashions that requires no sewing click here.

T-shirt refashioning has sorta been my thing since my early twenties. Here are a couple of the many  super old pics of me wearing t-shirts that I refashioned:

Thats me on the left in a large mens sized shirt that I made into a mini dress.

This was a men's size large shirt I found at a thrift shop. It had a cool detective /romance novel picture on the front. Oh thats me on the right btw.
Thats all I can find at the moment but there were so many great and different styled ones!

Here is a link to my original post in my refashion and crafting blog.

2 comments:

cfortin said...

Your top looks much more feminine. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

Lolo said...

Thanks Cindy!