Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Denim overall dress

For a while now, I've wanted an overall dress, sort of like this one. When I saw this huge, lightweight denim dress, I knew it was the perfect based for such a dress.

I started by chopping it in half so that the bottom part was the right length to be the skirt.

I decided to gather the skirt, since that's more flattering on me. I also thought a waistband would look good, so I removed this one from an old pair of too-big jeans.

I used the top part of the dress to fashion the front and back panels of the overalls. It was a bit challenging to get my stitching to match the existing stitching, but it was worth it.

I cut the waistband into a front piece and a back piece, then started to put the pieces together, like so.

I wanted to look of the patent leather straps, but not the risk of them being destroyed in the dryer, so I opted for removable straps. I took two belts I bought for $1 each from the thrift shop, cut them to size, and glued big snaps onto the undersides of both ends. 

After hand-sewing the other halves of the snaps onto the dress, and a few small snaps at the waistband, my new overall dress was ready to go. 

Front view

Back view
I started this refashion way back in November, when it wasn't so cold, but I hope to get some good use out of it when it warms up again. Or I may just wear it with fleece leggings and a sweater!

Thanks for reading!   -Amy


jennifer elliott said...

That is super cute! Lining up existing seams is always a pain in the tush but I agree that the effort is worth the pain in the end. :) Great refashion.

Jennifer, EOD

Hawk3ye said...

Amazing attention to detail! I love the straps.

Humaun Kabir said...

Thanks for such a wonderful post.
tank top

kitblu said...

I love this type of dress. I have one that I wear whenever I need pockets! Your idea for the straps is very clever, not to mention easier than making straps. Then you reused the waistband from old jeans - impressive resourcefulness!