NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Monday, June 06, 2016

Boob Job #4 - Refashion FBA - Corset back

I have had this dress for years, maybe 15 years. It is made of a light and airy cotton that os perfect for summer use.

But I had one problem...

I cut the dress open in the middle back.

I found a scrap ribbon. I don't know its original use, but it was perfect for the purpose.

I stitched it along the edges.

And found some more ribbon for a corset closure. I wanted a contrast colour ribbon, but didn't have any. Once I come by some, I will change it for the present ribbon, that is dark green.

Finished and photos taken. Front and back.

Except......when I saw the photos, I didn't like the thin straps anymore. They looked so puny and actually made my chest and shoulder area look larger.
Fortunately I had some extra fabric: The tie for the waist. I made new straps with it.

The final after-photo:

And just because I can, I made this detail in the back:


Finally I can use my dress again.


7 comments:

RePurposeFul said...

I love this dress! Thinking of the corset back was genius :) And you're right - the wider straps look perfect.

RePurposeFul said...

I love this dress! Thinking of the corset back was genius :) And you're right - the wider straps look perfect.

Chickie Walsh said...

I love this.

g.satansbraten said...

Herewith I crown you Gerlinde-Champion in rescuing tight tops/dresses !!!

The strap-widening looks indeed better.
The 'shawl-back' I'd rather use on sort of more festive version?
Have you actually tried what it would look like to add 'the shawl' right next down the corset-part as sort of 'flag' playing around?
Some evening gowns have something (wider) like this with an open (=heavy boned/metal strengthened) 'V' without additional (corset-part) in between. I'd actually prefer THIS version to a front version of the same make, since backwards I'm not often bending during an elegant outing - forwards yes and then this 'boning' gets uncomfy (despite more pleasing for the men ;-) )

Loving greetings,
Gerlinde

Sabrina said...

The wider straps were the perfect finish to a clever refashion!

cfortin said...

Great fix for the fit and I like the wider straps better too.

Cindy - EOD
Upycycled Design Lab

Erica Moody said...

That's a great idea. Just the fix I've been looking for, thank you for sharing!