Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Shirt to Dress

Now that I seem to have my sewing mojo (sew-jo?) back, I decided to tackle some of my long-languishing projects. I honestly don't know why I know why I kept putting off this particular one. It took me all of 10 minutes, including the time spent taking pictures of my surprisingly cooperative model!

I started out with an adult's size small strapless hi-low hem shirt. When I grabbed it out of the bin at the thrift store, I new immediately that I would turn it into a summer dress for my toddler. Then I dropped it in my sewing room and forgot about it for months.

Tried it on for size. It was a little too big to use as-is.
I have a small box that I keep adding bits of spare ribbon and lace to, because surely I'll use it some day, right?

It turns out that I had the perfect size and color of ribbon to use for straps!
I didn't accidentally stab her with a pin!

After pinning and measuring, I realized that if the straps were short enough to look right, then the top hem of the shirt was uncomfortably high in her arm pits. So I folded the sides and back down and quickly sewed it down so that it would fit more comfortably.

It's going to be a perfect summer dress for her to wear next year.

Hamming it up.

I think she likes her new dress.


Chickie Walsh said...

Super cute dress and super cute model!

jennifer elliott said...

I love the refashion, but I think I love your little model more.

Jennifer, EOD

A.C. said...

Too, too cute little model. I love those little feet. Oh yeah, the dress is very creative and cute, too.

Accidental Seamstress said...

Who couldn't love that face?! ...the dress is pretty nice too ;)