Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Back to school: 1+1+1+1=1

Since it's back to school season again (already?), I thought I'd post a previous refashion with a school-themed title...
Just got a freebie tank passed on from my friend, and I really like the flared shape and slight racerback cut, so decided to make a version using old T-shirts. My teenage son went through all his clothes and filled a large bag for Goodwill. Of course, the bag didn't make it from the house to the car, without me taking a quick peek.
I pulled out a grey T-shirt with a Celtic motif, and three unworn white Hanes shirts (I think he kept wearing the same 3 from a 6-pack).
I found a bottle of liquid Rit on the shelf and decided to go for it. Well, the deep Cabernet color I was expecting turned out to be cerise (a surprise, but still OK).
I did a rough trace of the tank, and made front and back patterns. Then I started cutting into the shirts. I only managed to get narrow front and back panels from the Celtic print shirt (if only my son was built more like a chunky middle-aged woman, I wouldn't have to do so much piecing together!!)
I cut the side panels on the fold (no need for side seams), and two sets of front and back yokes from the Hanes shirts, so that I could just sew them double and not worry about finishing the neckline and armholes. I couldn't get the back yokes in one piece, so decided to do a button detail.

I wish the motif placement had allowed me to get a better seam position (not really flattering), and it would probably be a little better in a lightweight jersey, but I'll wear it.
Full post here


1 comment:

Chickie Walsh said...

I love exercise wear ideas! This is great. And I steal clothes from my teen son too.