REFLECTIONS: Re-fashioning is all about learning new skills. Our local Liz Claiborne closed, I bought a lot of too large pants for under $1 each. Learning to down-size those and other too large pants is a current needed skill.
BEFORE: Too large jeans from the Re-fashion stash. My goal was to down-size without removing and replacing the waistband.
- Use a seam ripper to remove belt loops. Remove top stitching from leg seams. Open hem.
- Use heavy duty rose pruners to remove grommets.
- Stitch 5/8 seam line full length on inseam to remove baggy seat and to tighten leg seam. Run 5/8 seam line full length on outer seam just to bottom of pocket. Serge both seams.
- TIP: Run small seams. Try on. Adjust gradually as needed.
- Serge hem edge / stitch.
- Clip opening in inside back waistband, Run wide elastic to tighten waist. Stitch ends in place,
Ready to wear down-sized Grandma jeans
|AFTER: Elastic added to back waist. |
Removing pocket topstitching.
|Remove grommets as needed|
|Stitch /serge inseam to remove baggy seat|
|Stitch and serge outer seam from hem to pocket bottom|
|BEFORE: Baggy legs.|