REFLECTIONS: Ten years ago, I flew home to Texas from Austria in the August heat. My wear on and carry on included 3 wool jackets and a wool coat from the thrifts in Salzburg, High quality wool is hard to find in Texas thrifts but easy to find in Austrian thrifts.
I wore this long sleeve wool jacket often pre-retirement. This is #5 in a series of blazers / suit jackets / dresses re-fashioned into school days vests. These vests are worn with winter pants and jeans.
BEFORE: Much-worn long sleeve Austrian wool jacket from the closet.
- Use a seam ripper to remove sleeves, and to open side seams.
- Insert wool side panels cut from sleeves. Repeat for linings.
- Create armhole facing cut from t-shirt. Turn to inside and top stitch.
- Re-attach back band and buttons.
- TIP: Press often to get smooth finishes on arm finishes.
AFTER: Green trimmed vest to add to the Jan/Feb ‘Back to School” wardrobe.
|After: Green top with Grey Vest|
Original horn look buttons
|Original Green back belt|
|Side insert cut from sleeves|
|Original green collar|
|Side with green top|
|Color lightend: Side panel insterted|
|BEFORE: Sleeves removed from Austrian Wool jacket|