Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Rit Dye Failure

ReFashion Miss
I REALLY wanted to use the Watercolor Dye Technique to make a dress for an upcoming Brunch.

My goal was to use my Rit Dye Skills to create something like this:

Goal Dress
After hand painting a white cotton sheet with deep layers of Rit Dye I was thrilled with the wet fabric!

Wet Fabric
Even if it faded a little, I figured that it would still be perfect!  After drying overnight the fabric was muddy and faded.

Too washed out!
In the end I used rubbing alcohol and fabric paint to try and save this project.

Mix up a miracle
I was happier, though not totally thrilled, with the result!

Spray Painted / Dyed Fabric 
I ended us using the fabric to make a dress, but i'm not sure that i'll ever love it enough to wear it.

Meh!

For now she sit on a dress form in my attic.

For more info (including LOTs of SUCCESSFUL ReFashions)  visit my blog:



3 comments:

cfortin said...

I have a questionable tie dye project going on myself. :-) I think the skirt portion of your dress is very pretty. Maybe there is a way to add a little more color to the top.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycle Design Lab

Kathy W. - One Brown Mom said...

It's always such a disappointment when projects go wrong. I don't want to keep throwing money at this but I also want something that I can wear with pride.

Maybe I fancy hat or accessory will do the trick. We shall see!

leah sipprell said...

I would def try some regular dye. It's cute and would look great!