Sunday, May 27, 2018

2 wins and a fail

I'll start with the fail, because that's the way my pictures uploaded.  I wanted to change this oversized, shapeless t-shirt into something that would suit me better.  I trialled a few other t-shirts because it was clear from the start I was going to need some extra fabric.



Got out my TNT t-shirt pattern and messed about a bit... 






 And ended up with this fail.  It's not an epic fail, more a 'meh' fail.  I just don't like it on.  I like the colour combo.  I like the sleeves a bit, apart from the cuff (but I could cut that off).  But, for some reason, it turned out much wider than it should have given I've used the pattern before.  It's also too short and the band at the bottom is just wrong.  This is going to be the problem for me re-fashioning t-shirts - they're always too short to start with.  So if I don't like different bands at the bottom I'm going to have to do some more thinking... back into the re-fashion pile for now.






On to the 2 x wins - sorry, there are no 'before' pictures.  What can I say: a sunny day, a few hours free, I was setting up the dye pot and away with never even a thought to 'before' photos.  These were done in the same navy dye pot at the same time.

The first one was a white t-shirt gone a bit dingy. I scrunched it up and wrapped it with rubber bands until it was a tight ball and threw it in the dye pot to mature.  Voila - stormy sky t-shirt.

The second one was a jumper that has been dyed at least twice before, both previous times a reddish maroon, which have washed out unevenly over time.  It was originally beige.  Now it is a purple, with a completely unplanned but awesome marbled effect from all those previous dye jobs.

Happy re-inventing!

Miri




5 comments:

Maria said...

I think if you added a few pops of the blue t-shirt to what you have now, and/or maybe some yellow or green too, that might make it so you like it better.

Maria said...

To your "fail," I mean.

RanchHouse said...

Maria has a great idea to add the blue.

I Can Work With That said...

I love the stormy sky, that is just what it looks like. I have never done tie. Thanks for sharing your "fail", we all have them.
Chickie

circesews said...

Thanks for your comments everyone - Marie, I think you are right, more is more in this case. It's on the backburner while I still feel 'meh' about it, but I'm sure it will be back later.