Sunday, June 09, 2019

Prom Dress Fail & Outdated Blouse to New Refashioned Outfit


It feels like forever since I have done a refashion (& maybe it has). Sometimes life just gets in the way of our sewing machines, but that is why I come with a double refashion today!

My cousin gave me this prom-dress-fail a few years ago so I could play around with it. Getting excited over receiving "ugly" clothes seems weird to a non-refashioner, but to a refashioner, it is an awesome thing to receive! I knew I wanted to make a skirt out of all the fabric this dress had to offer. To finish off my outfit, I ordered this blouse, which seemed to look better-fitting online than in person, so I had to refashion it. 

The problems:


1. The dress is self-explanatory, right? Hehe.
2. The blouse had these outdated puffy sleeves and the length was too long. 

The solutions:

1. The dress was cut off at the waist and the huge pleats were seam ripped to make three layers for the skirt. The black satin waistband was used to make a new waistband for the skirt.
2. The sleeves and some length were chopped off. The fabric from the extra length was used to make cute and fully lined flounce sleeves.

And this is how my new outfit was created.
Have you ever planned to refashion one garment, and ended up refashioning a new outfit?






For the full tutorial and additional photos, please visit Sew Much Love, Mary.
Thank you for reading. :)

4 comments:

whatthesew said...

I love what you did with the sleeves of the top and also the prom dress refashion. Prom dresses are garments I see languishing unloved in charity shops all the time. They are at the higher end of the price bracket for the shop so do not get the refashion love they deserve. Congrats for your lovely makes and welcome back.

I Can Work With That said...

Wow, that black prom dress was crazy. It was so severe. And yes, I love finding crazy clothes like that to refashion too. The crazier, the better. Your new outfit is amazing. What an improvement. Very pretty and chic.
Chickie

TheRefashStash said...

It's beautiful!!!

-TheRefashStash

Anonymous said...

Then you looked at him and realized how much you loved him.
All of a sudden you were not the woman he fell in love with anymore.Your breakup was caused by a big argument and you
both said some pretty harsh things.
If you want to learn more about this site: Most Popular Prom Dress