Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ice Cream Seller Re-make!

Here's a funny jersey top I made recently that began life as two unwanted men's T-shirts and one unwanted men's shirt. I was inspired by my deep love of traditional diner waitress uniforms, and although the final result only references the initial style starting point, I think it has some fun and kitsch qualities about it.


I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I love taking unloved and discarded garments and reinterpretting them. Making something that is an expression of my own person style and influences is something I really strive to do these days, as when I began sewing I tended to make things because the pattern was free or looked do-able with the fabric I had to hand. Those are the garments that don't get worn for long! I want to fill my wardrobe with awesome things that make me smile. Of course, they are only going to make me smile if they fit well and flatter me, which thankfully, this top does!

This top is a basic semi-fitted jersey top with gathered sleeve heads. I've added contrast turned back cuffs to the sleeves and a matching fake pocket flap with button. All materials were secondhand and donated to the charity I work for, but were unable to be sold in their initial form.

In case you were wondering how I jumped from diner waitresses to the 'ice cream seller' top, that seemed a more fitting title when I saw the effect the candy stripe shirting gave to the garment. If you would like further details on the creation, techniques and thoughts behind this garment, please head over to this blog post.

Happy refashioning lovely peops!!! Keep up the good work.

Zoe xxx

2 comments:

Lollean said...

Cute!

Refashion said...

Such a cool shirt! Great job :) And I totally know what you mean about wanting your wardrobe to be full of clothes that make you smile! A long time goal of mine too. That's what refashioning is all about right? :D

ErikaH
Editor on Duty