Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Restyle antique chairs with jeans


Usually, I project my restyling ideas on clothing but this time I'm restyling furniture with clothes. I recently discovered that the skai leather on the seats of my 2 antique chairs has been worn out. The seats definitely needed new covers, which was no surprise after more than 10 years of use. The chairs were given to me by my parents some 30 years ago when I was a student, and they are now in good use in my 'sewing room'.  

I needed a new, solid fabric and in my opinion jeans would be perfect for the job. Luckily, I had kept an old pair of jeans with from my better half D. I couldn't avoid a seam because the legs just weren't wide enough, but I placed the seam on the side so it wouldn't bother me while sitting on chair. 

Look at the cracks!

Denim can be very rigid and thick with multiple layers on each other, so the fabric needed a good pressing!

I placed the strips with the rivets back in the exact same way I had removed it, which saved me a lot of time. The strips are very practical by the way, you only need to place a rivet in every few holes and the rest of the strip keeps the fabric in place. 


In the meantime, I've had the chance to test the new seats and I can tell you that denim feels much more comfortable and warmer than skai leather, so I'm very happy with the result!


Don't worry, the chair didn't miraculously multiply itself... I had 2 chairs:).




You are very welcome to check out vermaakster.blogspot.com for more details and other jeans projects, for instance how to make a jeans belt or a Japanese knot bag. Until next time!



1 comment:

I Can Work With That said...

I love these so much! What a great use of the denim. I like that the seam is visible. They look great and the denim will be very sturdy too.
Chickie