Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Dip dye summer pants

 


Hi everyone, we've had some pretty hot days here this summer! And I remembered from last year the elastic at the bottom of these pants deprived my legs of any breath of fresh air. So, in preparation of our vacation in France, I decided to cut off the elastic and pimp the legs with a dip dye! 

We had our own Tour the France this year: we traveled from Normandy through the Loire valley to the Ardèche and then back home (the Netherlands) again. My mother in law used to live in the Ardèche but we hadn't been there since we sold the house after she died 5 years ago. We were eager to visit the area again and maybe see the changes the new owner had done to the house. Unfortunately, on the day we left for the Ardèche, we had car trouble somewhere near Tours and were therefore obliged to stay for a few extra more days. Just when the temperature there was getting over 35 degrees.... phew... (I hereby want to thank the friendly owners of the bar at the Leclerc Hypermarché in Loches where I spent hours reading and cooling down, it was heavenly!). 

To be honest, even my new airy dip died pants didn't help me then... but I've worn my new pants with great pleasure in Normandy and the Ardèche!

Now, let's stop talking and show you some photographs of the proces...


After I cut off the elastic I thought of a construction that would keep the pants up. And I was going for a gradient colour, so to avoid a line I moved the pants up and down the first 20 minutes or so. 


After my first attempt, the blue dye was still too light, so I repeated the process again the next day, with a much better outcome!

,

I totally forgot to make pictures of my new pants on vacation (pants by the sea, pants on top of the hill etc.). But... I visited some vide-greniers (yard sale?) and I'm sharing some of my found treasures on my blog. So if you're interested in embroidery and lace cloths... you're welcome to visit vermaakster.blogspot.com

3 comments:

g.satansbraten said...

Well, here too: elastic cuff at the bottom is usually the first thing to go whatever else happens to the re-fash afterwards.
Sorry dear Fashion-Designers: if it's not the leg-widths of a palazzo-pant this idea is a real thing to cut off.
Btw.: I like the gradient dye! Just thinking of doing this job upside down for my personal case. Means: dark on top and lighter at the bottom, since I've muuuch more to hide at the top ?/..\
Sorry for the 'Ardeche-misery'; at least the people there seem to be as adorable as their surrounding = all thumbs (+ toes) up!
Just double checking: you do speak french, don't ya?

Vermaakster said...

Oh that's a great idea, to do the gradient dye upside down!
And yes, I speak french, not fluently but I manage:)

g.satansbraten said...

Wait, please. I'm still rethinking my own writing/idea, since - in my case - I might possibly then look like 'more X-legs' instead = choice I've to make. YOU're fine anyway figure wise; you've (probably/hopefully) still to wait for 'improved age' before facing similar problems.
Yet talking about the power of colour: depths/shades and how to utilise this knowledge is definitely worth thinking.
Concerning 'French': ;-) :-D :-D most of the time. Btw., Spanish usually only seems to 'work the same way' = EU, isn't it? Only the official offices seem to 'understand' each other better (despite perhaps not always either ;-) ?).