Monday, September 28, 2026

Barcelona denim pleated skirt

 


Hola everyone, this week we're having sort of an Indian summer in Holland. 20 to 25 degrees (Celcius) is not very common here in late September. Great weather to wear a skirt with bare legs before fall arives. Like this Barcelona jeans pleated skirt!

In the last couple of years I've often been inspired by the Spanish brand Desigual because of the bold use of colours and fabrics. Not everything is my style, but I regularly see interesting fabric combinations and funny twists in their garments. 

A while ago, my eye fell on the skirt below on the right and I immediately loved the idea, a pleated skirt with a denim hip piece. I had a pleated skirt (check) and a pair of old jeans from my better half D. (check), so I was ready to get started with my own interpretation of this idea.

I cut the hip piece and ripped the seam on the front below the fly. 

Then I placed the front pieces a little diagonal on top of each other. I had an extra button added (so I would still be able to actually put it on:)) before I closed the front seam again.


Finally, I attached the hip piece on my pleated skirt . As you can see on the photo below I styled with an asymmetrical top, also fabrication of yours truly. The fun part of this top is that I can pull up both shoulders with a strap and snap, or just one, or none:). I tweaked a pattern from the Dutch magazine Knipmode for this top. 



The braided belt was also an 'own make', an upcycle of fabric scraps in 2023. Hope you liked this refashion and hommage to Desigual.


If you're interested in more details on this refashion you're welcome to visit vermaakster.blogspot.com. 

It's also the place to be if you want to know more about the diy for the braided belt and the pattern I based this top on. 

Thanks for reading along!

No comments: