Monday, February 21, 2011

Introducing... Steph


I am so excited to be here (waves frantically at the computer)...
My name is Steph and my husband, Carlos and I run the Aussie eco kids wear label MooBear Designs which was stitched into creation from our love of recycling and refashioning while staying true to our ethical and environmental values. We have 3 kiddies Moo, Bear and Bubble who are learning the benefits of living a sustainable life and helping the planet no matter how small it may seem. I also started Over It! which is MooBear's little sister label. I love my fair trade coffee and have always got at least 3 refashion projects on the go. So lets get to know me a little better shall we? I might learn a thing or two as well. Below is a pic of me in my no sew top.


How did you get into refashioning? I was about 8 years old and one day my Mother sat me down and we made a heart shaped photo frame from a recycled weet bix box, some left over padding, glue and scrap material with coloured hearts all over it. I put a picture from my parents wedding to display in it and to this day I still have it on my dresser!! So I am thinking it all started there.

What is your motivation for refashioning? My motivation today is more about leaving a clean mark on our planet and showing my kids that it's more fun to be an individual and not follow the fashion of the masses. Having said that my 2 youngest children Bear and Bubble appreciate what I make them as there is less pressure from peers to be fashionable and cool. This dress below was made with the help of my friend Jazzy from a pattern and made from a doona cover!!


Where do you get your inspiration? My golly... Inspiration is everywhere. My children, facebook, blogs, fellow refashionistas who are always more than happy to share! Thank You ladies. All my creative friends and the little rainbow creature that lives in my head. Sometimes Carlos will randomly ask me 'Hey can you make this?' I'll disappear for about half an hour and come back with the goods. I secretly made a pair of transformers shoes once. Check them out.. There is a tutorial too!


Which techniques do you use in your refashions? Well I learnt to sew in high school on my grandmothers Singer. I would pick out patterns to make for class assignments and my Grandmother would end up doing most of the sewing because I just couldn't follow the instructions. I was a pretty hyperactive kid and just I wanted the dresses to just magically appear. I guess she got the A+ when I made a formal dress hey?! Hmmm... I tend to just go with the flow. I'll get an idea in my head and make it. Sometimes it takes a few attempts but you have to make a few mistakes to learn what works. My traffic stopping dress is a true mistake turned wonderfully perfect.


Where do you find things to refashion? Do you know that most of my friends are the ones who keep me supplied with materials. They bring bags of denim, shirts, dresses, ties, scarves... Anything and everything knowing that I will transform them into some new and seriously exciting. Some of them are WAHP and sew as their business (like us too) and I end up with all their scrap materials which is like gold to me.

I also live and breath op shops although we call them Treasure Shops in our family. I honestly can't stand walking into a shopping centre anymore it feels horrible and it's easier to buy a 50c toy at the treasure shop than a $20 toy at k-mart... Am I right or am I right?! Or better still we just make our own. Below is Bear's very own handmade Ben 10 Omnitrix which we made for him.


What is your favourite refashion? That's so so hard. There are so many big and small that I just love. But one of my all time favourites would have to be Bubble's 1st Birthday outfit which was refashioned from her big brother Bear's size 4 shirt. I made a dress along with matching bloomers and headband.


Do you recycle anything other than fashion? Yep... I sure do. I have turned ice-cream containers into earrings, curtains and bed sheets into satchels, dresses and banners. Zippers into headbands, brooches, pencil cases and rings. We even make our own paper too. I once collected 5kg rice bags and turned them into a skirt!!


Where can I read more about you and refashioning? You can call past my blog anytime! There is always a fair trade coffee to be enjoyed together. I look forward to meeting you wonderful refashionista's...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome Steph! Great to hear all about you. Hey those transformer shoes are amazing! Well done. And little Bubble looks so cute in her big brothers refashioned shirt dress. You are an inspiration, welcome to Refashion Co-Op!

MooBear Designs said...

Thanks Erica... Lovely to be here. I am having a wonderful time that I am finding it hard to leave lol...

xo Steph

Lovenicky said...

Welcome! Love your no sew shirt! Got to try that one!

Huli said...

always loved your stuff on wardrobe refashion...so it's very cool you're contributing here now =)

Refashion said...

Welcome! What inspired refashions - and varied, too! That no sew shirt is fantastic, wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some variations pop up around here soon =). I am also personally a fan of the stop sign shirt (and the corresponding skirt I spotted over at your blog). Looking forward to more creative refashions from you!

Jessica (EOD)

Unknown said...

I just love your stuff Steph - especially the kids stuff, so cute!

I'm glad to hear you got the lace flower safe and sound.

Eddie

MooBear Designs said...

Thanks for all the love and support guys!! Huli I can't get enough of your refashions hun... Jessica I am back and this time I am not leaving hehe... Eddie awesome to see you here too!!

xo Steph