Monday, May 02, 2011

My 1st dress for "80 Dresses around the world"

Hey everyone! Spotting the post for "80 Dresses around the world" was just the motivation I needed this morning to get busy & whip up a new winter dress.
I started with these two pieces:
The red paisley print top my mom bought for me many years ago! About 4/5 years ago I added the red band as I was very concious of my belly after having two kids! I hadn't worn it at all in the past 3 years but couldn't bear to part with it as I love the fabric soo much! The black skirt used to be a dress but it became too big so I cut off the top & intended on making the skirt into a batwing top...untill this morning!
So I cut off the red band and about 2cm from the bottom of the top, took in the skirt a few cm's either side to fit my waist, cut off the excess & overlocked. I kept the 1st row of shirring to keep the gathers & attached the skirt to the top = soo simple! Why hadn't I thought of this before! I also decided it would be nice to shorten the sleeves to 3/4 length as the sleeves had always felt just that lil bit too short and I lowered the neckline to give it a nice shape.
I'm wearing it with a removeable thrifted waist belt & I love how it ties everything together :)

3 comments:

jessica said...

Gorgeous! I can see why you haven't been able to part with any of these pieces. I love how such small tweaks made such a difference for the overall garment - it looks so stylish and "you"! Also, I'm stoked that the challenge inspired you to pull this refashion together =). Keep them coming!

Liz said...

That looks great :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful dress refashion Huli. Can't wait to see what more you come up with.
Eddie