Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Periwinkle Costume

Bellydance is the whole reason why I started to sew and refashion. Costumes are very expensive and they still break from shoddy work. Plus I am tall and it is hard to find costumes that fit! Many of us bellydancers say "I dance therefor I sew" and it is a very true statement. Hence I began to learn how to make my own costumes that fit me for a fraction of the cost. I started by searching the thrift stores.

I found this very large periwinkle satin skirt at goodwill for $4.50. Lots of fabric and strung sequins. We decided to make a troupe costume out of this fabric and some leftover fabric we had from a black sparkly skirt we made.

Here is the before... we could get 4 of us into the skirt after I removed the waistband!!!



Here is the after picture of us in the finished product.



The strung sequins were used to edge the entire costume to finish it. I have also used the sequins for another costume. We used the skirt lining to line the costume too. There was a brocade part that was not able to be salvaged for which we were said about. So we have tried to use every part of this skirt for as much as we can. Oh and my pants were refashioned from a broomstick skirt that I also got from goodwill. I am making another one so I will share a tutorial within the next month about how to make one.

These costumes cost a total of $30 per person. CHEAP! That includes the bras we got for the foundation of the costume. AND the prestrunge glass beaded fringe from Egypt bought off Ebay. The rhinestones were on clearance ($0.66 for 6 big ones and $2 for 144 small ones!).

Hope you enjoyed reading this post. :) Something different to read! I do not have any during construction pictures as we all contributed to sewing the costumes, plus the idea changed a few times during the creative process. But more of my refashions (including this post on my blog.

XOXOXO,
LaLaLauren

3 comments:

cwaycarter said...

Wow! The costumes turned out fantastic! -C.C

ReFashion Statement

Refashion said...

What a huge skirt to begin with! I also sew for my tap dance costumes! Love your costumes Lauren, thanks for sharing

Erica, Editor on Duty

Jennifer said...

I used to belly dance and I had to quit because the costumes were just too expensive. I am still not good enough to make them on my own, but I will get there someday. Your work is fabulous!!!!

- jen