Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Ode to a Grecian Slip

I needed a slip to wear with this semi-transparent dress I made previously - and found a scrap of black nylon/ chiffon in my bin.  It just sort of came into being as I was working on it.
I took the piece of fabric and sewed it down the sides so I ended up with one long tube leaving the selvedges free at the top and bottom. (yea, no hemming or facings necessary!) At that point it seemed easier to just make a full slip rather than a half one, so on I went.   Keeping the only stitched seam going down the middle of the back, I left a kick slit opening at the bottom.  I finished the seam edges I just made because the material ravels like crazy, plus its see-thru.  
I had just enough wide black elastic stretch lace and used that to gather the waistline.  Then I added two lace shoulder straps to the bodice and just let the top drape, Grecian-style.  I had extra black lace leftover where I had attached it at the front bodice, so I twisted it around to create a teeny tiny rose at each strap and hand sewed it in place.  That's it.  Visit Project Minima to see the lingerie I made to go with it!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Interesting slips are had to come by...great job!
Jenni EOD