Saturday, February 25, 2012

Granny's Dress

Somewhere in the number of old albums my mother saved, is a picture of my grandma Dorthy in a dress so much like this that I wonder! For 2.50, I thought why not and added it to my pile of thrift store finds...
the first thing I did was cut off the skirt and sleeves of the dress...turned the top upside down (because of the elastic band...it is too much effort to redo a casting if one is already there)...then the most simple thing would have been to reattach the skirt...but I wanted to push myself further..
so I thought perhaps I could take the sleeves, open them up and use them for the bottom of the skirt...perhaps use a draped belt with a great buckle...
after more thought, I decided I wanted a summer top with capris ...so I found some really great lace at another thrift store to add a ruffle...then I turned the skirt into capris...LOVE IT!...oh and please overlook the mess in the back ground..when I am preparing for a show I have to have everything out..that way I can get a better perspective of what to pair with what!

1 comment:

Refashion said...

What an exciting set of transformations! Thanks for sharing each, as it helps me rethink all the possible interpretations one item of clothing can have. -Seeks, EOD