It's been a long while since I posted, but that's simply because my refashioning projects have been somewhat limited this spring and also frankly rather basic, along the lines of reuse and repair rather than restyle with flair. I didn't think that they'd be that interesting to share here. However, in time for Easter I managed to refashion a beloved dress for my daughter. We're both thrilled!
She absolutely adored this sundress, a gift from her grandfather more than two years ago.
Sadly, it had become too short. We first fixed that by adding a row of eyelet ruffle to the bottom hem. This allowed my daughter to wear it a little longer. But at last she had to face the fact that it was really too small, both too short and too tight in the bodice. I suggested turning it into a skirt, however, she insisted on a dress.
So I removed the bodice and used it to trace out a larger, longer bodice. I recuperated the placket and buttons from the original bodice and re-used them in the new one, and added matching eyelet around the neck. I also feel very proud that I managed to make my first lined bodice ever, following this helpful tutorial.
My daughter is delighted with the results and proudly wore the dress to church on Easter Sunday. She's been asking to wear it practically every day since, but it's been cold and rainy here all April, alas, so she's had to wait. I'm hoping that all these showers bring May flowers and sunshine and a chance for her to wear the dress soon.
I've retold this story over on my blog, as a little fairy tale, for those interested: Once upon a time...