Friday, August 10, 2012

Leather Mullet Skirt

Well, that is what I nic-named it anyways...

I love working with leather. Love it. There is something so satisfying about recycling a cast off jacket or pair of pants or even a purse into something stunning. I've made bags, pillows and cotton shawls with leather pockets but I have never made a piece of clothing. Until I made this skirt.

Recycled Leather Skirt Front

I call it the mullet skirt because although it is business up front with the pencil skirt lines and colour blocking....

Recycled Leather Skirt Back Ruffles

It is all party in the back with the western style panels and three rows of leather and suede ruffles.
I love it. And although I almost messed up (I learned about zipper placement!) It fits perfectly.
It started out as two very unattractive leather jackets:
black-suede-jacketred-leather-jacket 
I hoarded these two jackets for over a year, waiting for the perfect project. I actually cut off the arm of the red one to make some pretty amazing pillows. But that was all I would allow myself. I am so glad my patience was rewarded. 
I hate to leave you with those photos, so I'll just post one more of the ruffles. 
leather-skirt-ruffle-detail
Of course there are a few more photos over at my blog Until Wednesday Calls. I have lots of tutorials in case you feel like staying to browse. I love to sew and to repurpose and have been on and off again refashioning since the days of Wardrobe Refashion. In fact I met some of my best blogging friends on that blog. So now that I have finally made my inaugural post, I hope to post a lot more here.

Cheers, Melissa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa, this skirt is absolutely stunning! You are very talented

Erica EOD

Mandy said...

I LOVE this!! You are brave to work with leather :)

concretenprimroses said...

Wow! Stunning.
Kathy

Melissa said...

Thank you ladies! I ind leather super easy to work with. Like a supple felt. No fraying edges and just enough stretch to make it do what you want.