Thursday, September 27, 2012

Introduction & Hawaiian Shirt-to-Dress Refashion

Hey there! I'm new around here. My name's Carissa, and I live in Dallas, TX, USA. I've been crafting for as long as I can remember, but refashioning is a fairly recent obsession. I've been working really hard to lose weight this year (60 pounds so far!), and have been having a blast converting my fat clothes to cute skinny clothes, supplemented, of course, with thrift store scores. This piece is one of the latter.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in a couple months to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. So I roamed around my local thrift shop searching for florals and the like to create an island wardrobe. This men's Hawaiian shirt struck my fancy with its adorable little flamingos and palm trees.

Flamingo Shirt-to-Dress Refashion - Before

A few snips here, and some stitches there, throw in a couple new buttonholes for good measure, and voila! A new dress perfect for strolling along the beach!

Flamingo Shirt-to-Dress Refashion - After

More details (though sadly, I forgot to take progress photos) can be found on my blog, CarissaKnits.

Thanks for letting my join the party. I've already learned and been inspired so much by lurking around this place, so I hope I can do the same for some of you.

5 comments:

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Hi! I'm new to the contributors list also! I look forward to seeing your blog here in a few minutes!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Unknown said...

Very good! Hawaiian shirt prints are always so pretty, really like your dress here

Erica EOD

concretenprimroses said...

Fabulous!
Kathy

amykalbster said...

Nice work, on the refashion AND the weight loss!

The Renegade Seamstress said...

Really cute refashion! And congrats on the weight loss. Not an easy thing to do!