Saturday, October 13, 2012

Polka-Dot Skinnies

Hey peeps, here's a tutorial for turning plain black pants into ankle-length skinny polka dot pants. Who doesn't need some of these? 

Here's the before and after
The first thing I did was flip the pants inside out and sew them down into a skinny pant. Here's a more detailed tutorial for turning pants into skinnies. After I sewed them as tight as I needed them, I tried them on and marked how long I wanted the pants to be and did a 5/8 hem on the bottom.
 Now, time for the polka dots! I bought some cheap paint from Wal-Mart and used the eraser from a mechanical pencil for the stencil for the dots.
 It was the perfect size and shape. I poured some paint in a small dish and lightly dabbed the eraser in the paint to make the dots.

 Using masking tape, I laid out the tape about 1 1/2 inches apart. Starting on the left side of the pant leg, I made polka dots every inch or so. I only did the polka dots above the tape, and when those were finished, I made the dots below the tape, trying to make the polka dots lined up the opposite direction of the tape.
 This part was very time consuming, and probably took about two hours. Also, I was nervous about getting the dots even, but it is actually very difficult to mess up on.
 The final product. I was so proud of how they turned out!
 These pants are so versatile! I like wearing them with a white tank top and sandals for a casual Saturday, or dressed up more with a bright tank top and heels.
Also, if you need (cheap!) style inspiration, I would love for you to follow along as I try to complete 31 Days of Copycat outfits this month. I'm using almost entirely clothes from second-hand stores. :)

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi,
Do you have troubles with the paint washing off? Or is it the sort of paint that you heat set with an iron?
Thanks,
Sandy in the UK

Andrea said...

Very cute! Will check out your 31 days...keep at it, cause this one is great!

Unknown said...

Love this! I saw someone wearing polka-dot jeans and thought they were the cutest bottoms. Can't wait to go home and try to make my own.

Ghislain&Claire said...

Ohh I really like it. Good idea