Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Spring t-shirt refashion #1 - Nautical

Looking ahead to springtime and warmer temperatures, I have started a series of t-shirt refashions. I know that there a million of these out there, so my goal is to try some new things. For the first one, I was inspired by this top from Mod Cloth. I usually don’t go in for the nautical look, but the open back of this was so cute. All I needed was a blue-and-white striped shirt, which I found at the thrift store for $1.50, new with tags on. As you can see, it was very boxy and not too flattering.


First, I cut off the collar and made the opening in the back. I made sure it would not dip down too low - I want to be able to wear a bra with this top!



I decided to keep it simple and use regular double-fold extra-wide bias tape for the edges. I bound the edge of the keyhole first, then pinned bias tape around the neckline, with long ends on each side for tying the bow on the back.



After I finished the neckline, I took in the sides a little to give the shirt a more feminine shape. Finally, I shortened the sleeves and bound the edges with the bias tape. Here’s the final look.



And the shirt from the back…



I love how it turned out! I can’t wait to wear it, as soon as the 6-10 inches of snow we just got here in Chicagoland goes away!

Thanks for reading,
Amy


7 comments:

Sandy said...

Looks just like your inspiration piece, great job!

Ms Jean Upcycles said...

Great refashion idea we can start working on now before summer arrives.

Mary said...

LOVE this one!! Great job!

Mary said...

LOVE this one!! Great job!

Anonymous said...

It's really cute! well done!

cookiecrumbs said...

Seriously cute!

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Love the back....it is a cool surprise.